Fall into Summer Quinoa Salad
This salad mix was inspired by Abby over at Flourish Body + Soul. We are always feeding each other at the studio and she made something similar to this recipe I have posted here. Honestly, you can add almost any vegetable you would like. Abby had diced cooked sweet potatoes, carrots, onion and kale and no meat.
I’m a sucker for meals that can be stretched for days. One recipe, 30 minutes of cooking that will give me grab and go healthy lunches for 4-5 days. Cook smarter not longer 🙂
I decided to make a few tweaks to balance things out a little bit with the addition of some clean protein and omitting the diced sweet potatoes.
Personally, I can eat the same thing 3-4 days in a row, especially for lunch but if you want to change things up you can use this recipe in a few different ways. You can use this salad in tacos or top on a bed of greens and drizzle on your favorite salad dressing.
The mint really adds that summer pop, however basil would work well too. I will say this over and over again, fresh herbs and seasoning will make any bland/healthy recipe taste amazing! When in doubt – add more herbs and seasoning.
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 3 big handfuls of pre-chopped kale
- 10oz bag of shredded carrots
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch of fresh mint,
- 1 cup of unsweetened craisins or dried cherries
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch of green onion, slided
- 3/4 cup of crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 1-1.5lb of grassfed ground beef
- seasonings needed: cumin, black or white pepper, salt
- other ingredients : maple syrup or honey, olive oil, lemon juice.
- Cook quinoa – 1 cup of quinoa, 2 cups of water, 2 tsps of salt, bring to a boil and then simmer until fully cooked. *set aside and cool when this is done cooking.
- Cook ground beef- saute ground beef with minced garlic, 1 tbsp of ground cumin, 2-3 tsp of salt and pepper (or to taste). *set aside and cool when this is done cooking.
- While quinoa and ground beef are cooking, give the chopped kale and even finer chop (3-4 big handfuls, so about half a large bag or an entire small bag). Place in an over sized mixing ball
- Add the minced onion, chopped green onion, chopped mint, shredded carrots, and craisins to the mixing bowl with the kale.
- Once quinoa and ground beef are cooled, add to the mix of veggies. Tip : get all the juice/drippings from the ground beef into the mixture, it will help moisten and flavor the salad.
- For a light dressing, mix together a few tsp of honey or maple syrup, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, salt, pepper and mix together. Add dressing to the salad and mix together so it’s fully incorporated.
- Top or mix in the feta/goat cheese.
Yields 6-8 servings
Tip: use this salad on top of a bed of greens and drizzle with your favorite dressing for a new spin.
VEGAN FRIENDLY : Omit the ground grass-fed beef and cheese
DETOX FRIENDLY : Omit the cheese